How Do I Edit the Class Permissions in the Content Collection?
The Content Collection in Bb Learn is where most of your course files are stored. Because it is a true file repository, anyone with access to your course (e.g., students) may be able to see any or all of the files stored in the course’s Content Collection. Therefore you should be mindful about what you store in your Content Collection, and know how to manage permissions to restrict access to files you do not wish for others to see.
If you have content in folders that you do not want students to see, then you will need to edit the permissions. You can set permissions for the entire content collection for the class, for a folder, or even one file. The permissions can be set from within the course or at the Content Collection tab area.
Changing permissions in Content Collection tab:
Changing Permissions from Within Your Course, Giving Read Permission
- From within your course, select the Content Collection link on your Control Panel.
- Select your course (will usually start with the semester code; 1117-NAU00...
- Your course folders should now display.
- Find the file or folder. Select the action-link (drop-down menu arrow)
- Select Permissions.
- NOTE: If removing permission, you will remove any Students and/or the All Course Users permission, but be careful! Please make sure that the other instructor roles will still have their permissions to Read, Write, Remove, and Manage. If only the All Course Users is in the permission list, be careful, as you will not have access to the files if you remove the permission! Make sure that you can see instructor, designer, and TA permissions (green check marks). Cline Library's e-Reserves staff may also have access to your course in order to add e-Reserves. If you have a Students role listed, you can remove their permissions.
- Click on the Select Specific Users by Place button.
- Select Course.
- Click in the checkbox for your current course.
- Select the All Course Users or Students list.
- In the Set Permissions area, select Read.
- Select Submit.
- Check to see if you can see the files as the demo-student by logging in with your Test Student account in another browser, and going to the Content Collection tab. Students should not be able to open the folder.
Things to Know:
In some cases you will need to have your files set for students to view. If you do not display the files within the class structure, but have students open these as links within html files, then you will need to permit these files for viewing by students. Do NOT remove the Read permission.
If you have some files that you do NOT want students to see at all, either remove them from the class files or select the file permissions to not allow students to see them.
Currently, you will need to set up the permissions again after copying to new course shells. NOTE: Future updates to Bb Learn will add improved functionality with setting and keeping permissions.