Can Blackboard Learn's messages tool send and receive messages outside of Learn?
Not at this time. The Bb Learn mail tool, called Messages, is completely independent of other email, including both the student and faculty/staff NAU email systems. While some people desire more integration with regular email, there are some benefits to this way of doing things:
- By using the internal messages tool, all of your communication with students is archived, which can be very helpful in case of grade appeals or other disputes.
- There is no junk mail inside the system.
- There is no ambiguity about the identity of the person sending you a message; everyone is a real student.
- Only course users have access.
- Nothing gets lost in your inbox, accidentally caught by your spam filter, or ignored because you don't recognize the sender.