Welcome everyone, to a new year of learning! We at the Graduate Student Organization (GSO) are very excited about working with our graduate student community and setting and achieving goals for our growing organization.
Last year we had the following accomplishments and would like to share them with all of you and thank all that were involved in these efforts:
- Allocation of approximately $10,000 for graduate student travel through our travel award program
- Setup and management of a housing listserv for graduate students
- Guest speakers at our monthly meetings including President Haeger, Vice President for Research Laura Huenneke, and Provost Liz Grobsmith
- Representation by GSO on various university-wide committees
- Representation of GSO in ASNAU and ASA
- Campaign to increase graduate assistants' tuition remission
- Survey of graduate student needs and communication of results to university officials
This year we have set the following goals for our organization:
- Undergo a strategic planning exercise to set long- and short-term goals, and devise a workplan
- Achieve representation from all departments with graduate programs
- Increase representation from groups such as distance learning and international students
- Continue to manage the GSO Travel Awards bi-yearly
- Continue and increase, if possible, our representation in university-wide committees
- Continue to raise awareness about 100% tuition remission
- Continue to be involved in health insurance discussions and negotiations with ASA and ABOR
- Organize at least two social events for graduate students and their families
We will continue to meet on a monthly basis, but this year we decided to facilitate cross-campus exchanges by choosing different venues throughout the Mountain Campus. Our first meeting took place on August 31st and was held in the Forestry Building, and our next meeting will be held in the Music Building on September 21st at 5:30 p.m.
Please read our announcements sent through the graduate student e-mail list, send your questions and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org, and join us for our meetings and social activities. We are YOUR voice and advocate; please let us know how to best represent YOU!
We look forward to working for and with you throughout this year.
The GSO Executive Committee
Citlali Cortés-Montaño, President (Forestry)
Alex Perry, Vice President (Statistics)
Shona Granillo, Secretary (Speech Pathology)
Jessica Gist, Communications Officer (Env. Science & Policy)
“The Graduate Student Organization of Northern Arizona University is to represent the interests of graduate students at NAU and to communicate between the graduate student body and
the NAU administration.”