Tips for Managing Stress
First, recognize that moderate stress is your ally, not your enemy. When needed, moderate stress helps us focus and meet challenges. However, extreme stress is your enemy. To avoid extreme stress:
- Exercise regularly.
- Limit alcohol and caffeine consumption.
- Eliminate tobacco.
- Refuse “street drugs.”
- Maintain a good diet.
- Establish and maintain a network of friends.
- Fight perfectionism: be accepting of yourself and others. We all have strengths, and we all have limitations.
- Prioritize: don’t believe you have to do everything. We’re all going to die with unfinished business.
- Sleep. Establish sleep-promoting habits; avoid sleep-disrupting habits.
- Consider integrating meditation, yoga, or relaxation exercises into your life.
- When it all feels overwhelming, seek assistance.