Archive for March, 2012
The main responsibilities of the position include the following:
- Work with a partner to pick up and deliver loads of food waste from NAU Dining Locations to the compost facility on South campus in a timely manner (~1 hour per day).
- Loads of food waste will be picked up via bicycle and trailer and/or pickup truck.
- Operate hand tools and monitoring equipment to monitor, and assist with maintenance of a large-scale compost system at the new NAU Compost Facility (Located on South Campus by the Solar Array)
- Attend weekly compost team meetings as well as other meetings on an as needed basis
- Garner interest in compost and sustainability
- Work with other units and employees within NAU Dining/Sodexo, Facilities Management/Capital Assets, and in waste collection, monitoring, and documentation.
The full job description can be found here.
Shot on location in Mainpat, India, December 2011 – January 2012 for the College of Health and Human Services of Northern Arizona University, this video documents the university’s interdepartmental efforts to assist Tibetan refugees in India. Many faculty and students were involved in the trip!
Sam Hagler and Tim McKinley—two Graduate students in the Sustainable Communities program—have decided to throw the traditional spring break to the wind and participate in a worthy cause instead. According to their facebook page their mission is to:
bicycle 250 miles in Northern California, to raise awareness for the importance of school gardens as supplementary educational tools. With your help, we hope to raise $5,000 to support the schools’ independent gardening programs.
The money they raise will be used to fund school garden projects in the Flagstaff area in coordination with the Foodlink and School Gardens Aciton Research Teams (ARTs) on campus. Currently, they have raised $375 of their $5,000 goal. To donate, please visit the Ride for School Gardens Razoo page and be sure to follow their journey this week by tuning in to their facebook page.
Good luck Sam and Tim!