Archive for category Jobs and Internships
The Green NAU Energy Initiative is looking for five interns for the spring semester! Below are the descriptions for each one.
Utility Dashboard Intern
- Research manufacturers and suppliers of large-scale utility dashboards.
- Research NAU peer institutions implementation and usage of utility dashboard as it applies to programs, education, or research.
- Identify trends and innovation in the usage of utility dashboards.
- Develop recommendations for moving forward with implementation of a campus wide utility dashboard at NAU.
Sustainability Purchasing Intern
- Work with the Office of Sustainability, GNEI, and the NAU contracting and purchasing services to research current NAU purchasing policies and environmental purchasing policies.
- Research market trends in environmentally preferred purchasing policies.
- Research tools, products, and services available to aid in the development of crafting an environmentally preferable purchasing policy.
- Develop recommendations for moving forward with crafting an environmentally preferable purchasing policy for NAU.
Landscape Irrigation Intern
- Work with GNEI and Facility Services Grounds department to assess the current state of landscape irrigation at NAU.
- Identify trends in irrigation systems at universities and larger organizations that improve water efficiency.
- Research landscape irrigation tools, products, and services available in the market for improving water efficiency.
- Develop recommendations for implementation of a centralized landscape irrigation system that best promotes operating efficiency and water efficiency.
- Work with GNEI and the Waste Minimization Team to improve and expand the recycling pilot program campus wide.
- Assess the functioning of the recycling pilot program and recommend improvements.
- Assess needs for recycling and waste on a building-by-building basis across campus.
- Research trends at peer institution regarding outreach and education.
Green NAU Energy Initiative Intern
- Assist the GNEI program coordinators in promoting and managing the Sustainable Behaviors program.
- Engage with faculty/staff energy mentors and Residence Assistants in the Residence Halls.
- Research and investigate strategies for improvements in campus energy efficiency.
- Assist with a variety of tasks relating to the Sustainable Behaviors program.
- Must be an NAU student and able to work at the Flagstaff Mountain Campus.
- Majoring in relevant degrees such as Environmental Science, Environmental Studies, Environmental Engineering, Climate Science and Solutions, or similar.
- Interested and motivated to learn and work in sustainability at the university.
- Ability to exercise judgment and initiative.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
How to Apply
To apply, email a resume and cover letter to Avi Henn (Abraham.firstname.lastname@example.org) by January 10, 2014. Please note which internship(s) you are applying for. These internships are for academic credit only.
The main responsibilities of the position include the following:
- Work with a partner to pick up and deliver loads of food waste from NAU Dining Locations to the compost facility on South campus in a timely manner (~1 hour per day).
- Loads of food waste will be picked up via bicycle and trailer and/or pickup truck.
- Operate hand tools and monitoring equipment to monitor, and assist with maintenance of a large-scale compost system at the new NAU Compost Facility (Located on South Campus by the Solar Array)
- Attend weekly compost team meetings as well as other meetings on an as needed basis
- Garner interest in compost and sustainability
- Work with other units and employees within NAU Dining/Sodexo, Facilities Management/Capital Assets, and in waste collection, monitoring, and documentation.
The full job description can be found here.