Posts Tagged Internships
With the month of April looming, The Green Fund has been very busy the last couple of months with proposals, proposals, and more proposals. And guess what? The fun for this semester isn’t over yet! The Green Fund has two announcements for the rest of the spring semester:
- We are currently accepting applications for those interested in being a Green Fund Committee Member for the 2014-2015 academic year.
- We are now accepting project/addendum applications for the month of April.
So, being on the Green Fund Committee is awesome. Totally Awesome. The students who sit on this committee have the power to allocate hundreds of thousands of dollars to sustainability projects on campus. Green Fund Committee Members are the gatekeepers of student money and it is our responsibility to use it wisely. Besides being able to include buzzwords like project management and financial coordination on your resume, you get paid. Committee members get paid $10.00 per hour plus a $500.00 stipend every semester. Committee members work about 5-7 hours per week. To apply to be a Green Fund committee member, visit the Get Involved page to download the application.
Our other announcement is that based on public demand, the committee has decided to take proposals for the month of April. Project applications will be due Wednesday April 2nd. Here is our schedule for the rest of the semester:
- March 28th – Green Fund Meeting/Project Application Defense (3pm, ARD Small Pod)
- March 31st – Committee Member Applications Due!
- April 2nd – 3rd Round Green Fund Proposal Applications Due by 5pm.
- April 11th – Green Fund Meeting/Project Application Defense (3pm, ARD Small Pod)
- April 18th – Green Fund Meeting/Project Application Voting (3pm, ARD Small Pod)
- April 25th – Undergraduate Symposium
- May 2nd – Last Green Fund Meeting of the semester
The Green Fund typically holds special proposal workshops for project applications. However, due to spring break, there will be a change. Instead, if you are interested in submitting a Green Fund proposal for the month of April, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for the information you will need. Here is the Green Fund website for more info: nau.edu/greenfund
The Green NAU Energy Initiative is looking for five interns for the spring semester! Below are the descriptions for each one.
Utility Dashboard Intern
- Research manufacturers and suppliers of large-scale utility dashboards.
- Research NAU peer institutions implementation and usage of utility dashboard as it applies to programs, education, or research.
- Identify trends and innovation in the usage of utility dashboards.
- Develop recommendations for moving forward with implementation of a campus wide utility dashboard at NAU.
Sustainability Purchasing Intern
- Work with the Office of Sustainability, GNEI, and the NAU contracting and purchasing services to research current NAU purchasing policies and environmental purchasing policies.
- Research market trends in environmentally preferred purchasing policies.
- Research tools, products, and services available to aid in the development of crafting an environmentally preferable purchasing policy.
- Develop recommendations for moving forward with crafting an environmentally preferable purchasing policy for NAU.
Landscape Irrigation Intern
- Work with GNEI and Facility Services Grounds department to assess the current state of landscape irrigation at NAU.
- Identify trends in irrigation systems at universities and larger organizations that improve water efficiency.
- Research landscape irrigation tools, products, and services available in the market for improving water efficiency.
- Develop recommendations for implementation of a centralized landscape irrigation system that best promotes operating efficiency and water efficiency.
- Work with GNEI and the Waste Minimization Team to improve and expand the recycling pilot program campus wide.
- Assess the functioning of the recycling pilot program and recommend improvements.
- Assess needs for recycling and waste on a building-by-building basis across campus.
- Research trends at peer institution regarding outreach and education.
Green NAU Energy Initiative Intern
- Assist the GNEI program coordinators in promoting and managing the Sustainable Behaviors program.
- Engage with faculty/staff energy mentors and Residence Assistants in the Residence Halls.
- Research and investigate strategies for improvements in campus energy efficiency.
- Assist with a variety of tasks relating to the Sustainable Behaviors program.
- Must be an NAU student and able to work at the Flagstaff Mountain Campus.
- Majoring in relevant degrees such as Environmental Science, Environmental Studies, Environmental Engineering, Climate Science and Solutions, or similar.
- Interested and motivated to learn and work in sustainability at the university.
- Ability to exercise judgment and initiative.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
How to Apply
To apply, email a resume and cover letter to Avi Henn (Abraham.email@example.com) by January 10, 2014. Please note which internship(s) you are applying for. These internships are for academic credit only.