Vol. 8 No. 25 | August 14, 2012
An ice cream social, BBQ, scavenger hunt, outdoor movies, and a hypnotist are just a few of more than 100 events that are planned for your student in August. Welcome Week is a great opportunity for your student to dive into activities that will help him/her build friendships and connect with students, faculty, and staff who are here to support their success.
Events begin August 23 and run through September 7. Get event details at the Welcome Week website.
Welcome to Northern Arizona University from the NAU Bookstore!
Due to the construction surrounding the bookstore, parking access is limited. We would like to offer a convenient alternative to obtaining course materials and university gear.
Order course materials online through the NAU Bookstore
- Step 1: Log into LOUIE.
- Step 2: On the left side of the page, there is an "Enrollment" section; click "My Class Schedule."
- Step 3: Select the term for which you wish to order.
- Step 4: The courses are listed in alphabetical order. Click the ROYAL BLUE link on the bottom center of page that says, "Buy books - NAU bookstore."
- Step 5: A new window will open with the NAU Bookstore's webpage. All materials required and recommended for each class will be listed. Choose your materials. Different forms of each title (new, used, rental, and digital) may be available. Rental books save up 50% off the retail price. You can highlight and take notes in rental books. Digital books save up to 60% off the retail price.
- Step 6: After selecting all desired materials, scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Add to Cart." While completing an order, you can choose to have materials shipped to you or held at the bookstore for pickup.
Store Hours - We will have extended hours for move-in weekend and the first week of classes.
Thu, Aug 23 - 8 AM to 6 PM
Fri, Aug 24 - 8 AM to 6 PM
Sat, Aug 25 - 9 AM to 5 PM
Sun, Aug 26 - 10 AM to 6 PM
First Week of Classes
Mon/Tue, Aug 27-28 - 8 AM to 8 PM
Wed, Aug 29 - 8 AM to 7 PM
Thu, Aug 30 - 8 AM to 6 PM
Fri, Aug 31 - 8 AM to 5 PM
Sat, Sep 1 - 10 AM to 4 PM
The NAU Bookstore will also be open on Labor Day, Monday, September 3.
Abandoned Bike Sale
Each year, dozens of bicycles are left abandoned at the end of the school year. After a waiting period to see if any owners can be found, the bikes are offered for sale to incoming students. This is a great opportunity to purchase a used bicycle at a low price. If your student is planning to purchase a bicycle when he/she arrives in Flagstaff, be sure to check out this sale!
The abandoned bicycle sale will be held Friday, September 28, during Family Weekend. Proceeds from the sale go to support the Yellow Bicycle Program, a free bicycle lending program for students on campus.
New Interns-To-Scholars Program Applications Due August 31, 2012
The Office of the Vice President for Research announces a new Interns-to-Scholars (I2S) program beginning this fall. The purpose of I2S is to enable undergraduates, especially--but not limited to--sophomores, to work as paid assistants on faculty scholarly, creative, or research projects in ALL disciplines.
Online applications for these internships are due August 31, 2012.
MaryLynn Quartaroli, Undergraduate Research Coordinator, is available to answer questions about the program via e-mail or by phone, 928-523-1026.
Have you heard about the Wilderness Welcome and Camp GreenJacks?
Wilderness Welcome is an adventure-based, student-led, outdoor orientation program for incoming first-year students and will take place August 19-23. Your student will have the opportunity to discover this unique, five-day learning experience that provides the opportunity to meet classmates, face challenges, and connect with the natural environment.
Students may choose between:
- A river rafting trip on the San Juan River
- A rock climbing adventure on the crags and cliffs surrounding Flagstaff
- A hiking experience in the Zion and Bryce Canyon National Parks of the Southwest
All three adventures are open to any skill level and may be taken for 1 credit.
Camp GreenJacks will pair outdoor adventure with current sustainability efforts on campus. Students will lead this program designed to orient first-year students to sustainability on campus, form ties among participants, and help ease the transition into college with some fun, outdoor adventures.
Features of the program include:
- An eco-tour of campus
- Meeting with sustainability leaders
- Discussion of current issues affecting campus
- Camp out at the Centennial Forest
- Participation in the NAU Challenge Course
- Hiking and exploration of local trails and wilderness areas
This program is also open to any skill level and students can earn 1 credit through the Parks and Recreation Management program.
For more information about the Wilderness Welcome and Camp GreenJacks, visit NAU Outdoors.
Family Weekend 2012
To order tickets, visit the Central Ticket Office online and enter discount code "FW2012."
Check for lodging options and discounts on our webpage.
How to Have a "Green" Move-In Experience
by Cori Cusker, Residence Life
Are you in the midst of helping your student create a shopping list for his/her new room? We designed this guide to help you think about some environmentally responsible possibilities. It is our way of making it easier for your student to have a green living experience while at the university.
In addition to buying more environmentally-friendly items, it is important to think and act green as you go about your daily life.
Before you start shopping, don't forget to check with roommates to avoid duplication. Consider waiting to make purchases until you arrive on campus to determine what you really need and what fits in the space! Visit our Green Guide to find a list of items that will help your student become more sustainable as he/she prepares for a residential living experience.
Finally, don't forget to make the actual move in as green as possible. Try to minimize the amount of packaging and boxes you bring. Consider packing in reusable containers. Don't forget to recycle packaging after your student gets unpacked and settled. We make it easy by providing special dumpsters just for move-in recycling. So, break down those boxes and look for the specially designated dumpsters!
See a complete listing of university events on the official university calendar website. More Flagstaff event highlights can be seen at Flagstaff 365 and Flagstaff Happenings.