Vol. 10 No. 8 | September 24, 2013
Parent to Parent
by Shannon Clark, Parent and Family Services Coordinator
Family Weekend begins in just a few days, on Friday, September 27. I hope you've checked out the schedule of activities and picked out events that interest you, and purchased any necessary tickets for your family and your student. You may have some additional free time in Flagstaff and you will quickly discover that we love our mountain town almost as much as we love the university! As a resident for over 30 years, I thought I'd share some other fun, easy Flagstaff activities you may enjoy while visiting.
- Have a cup of coffee at one of our locally-owned coffee shops near campus.
- Take a stroll around downtown Flagstaff and the Southside Business District; shop in the local galleries, outdoor equipment stores, and restaurants.
- Walk around Buffalo Park, just two miles from campus, and enjoy the gorgeous views of the San Francisco Peaks.
- If you have about 90 minutes, drive up to the Arizona Snowbowl. The road is paved and the drive and views are beautiful.
Family Weekend September 27-29
Your first stop for Family Weekend is the Welcome and Registration Tent, located on the lawn outside the west entrance to the University Union across the street from the Performing Arts Center. We will be welcoming you all day Friday and Saturday until noon. Here you can get a campus map and information about events and shuttles, and register to be entered in the drawing for a beautiful NAU-embroidered Pendleton blanket.
Check out the Family Weekend webpage for a full list of all the great activities being offered during Family Weekend. Several of the events require tickets. You may buy tickets online or at the event itself.
There are also many free events that do not require tickets, registration, or any advance planning--just show up and have fun. We want to share our beautiful campus and a variety of fun events for you and your student. Be a part of the Lumberjack Family!
Flu Vaccine Is Here!
by Melissa Griffin, Health Promotion Manager, Campus Health Services
Flu season is right around the corner and college students are in a unique risk group as our students often live in close quarters with lots of other students. This means it's easier to spread the flu and we don't want that to happen! In a survey conducted in 2011, flu was the most commonly reported health interference with students' academic performance.
Campus Health Services is committed to preventing the flu and offers walk-in flu vaccines Monday through Friday, no appointment necessary! We also offer the nasal mist for those who are nervous about getting a shot.
Please encourage your student to heed the following recommendations from the CDC in order to stay healthy this flu season!
- Get a flu shot! This is the single best way to prevent seasonal flu.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- If possible, stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing.
- Wash your hands often, preferably with soap and water. Use alcohol based hand sanitizer in a pinch.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Give your immune system a boost by practicing overall good health habits including, but not limited to: getting 7-8 hours of sleep per night, getting daily exercise, managing your stress, drinking plenty of fluids, and eating a nutritious diet.
Promoting student wellness is our mission so please visit our website or have your student stop in our office in the Health and Learning Center for a variety of resources and preventive services.
Financial Aid Information For Parents And Guardians
As parents and guardians, we know you play a significant role in your student's success at the university. The Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid provides information and services to assist you and your student in financing his/her education.
Much of the information that you will need to make informed financial decisions for your student's education can be found on this website. But if you have additional questions, e-mail us and we will get back to you with an answer as soon as possible.
We also have financial aid advisors who are available to meet you with or without an appointment. Our advisors will direct you and your student on topics such as scholarships, grants, employment, and loans.
- Family Weekend: September 27-29 - Events for the whole family across campus and in Flagstaff.
- Family Weekend 5k Partner Run/2 mile Walk: September 28 at 8 AM at the Health and Learning Center.
- The NAU School of Music's Horizons Concert Series has an exciting blend of concerts for the fall 2013 semester. All concerts start at 7:30 PM at Ashurst Hall.
See a complete listing of university events on the official university calendar website. More Flagstaff event highlights can be seen at Flagstaff 365.