Vol. 10 No. 27 | February 25, 2014
Parent to Parent
by Shannon Clark, Parent and Family Services Coordinator
Family Winter Weekend February 28, March 1-2
It wouldn't be Family Winter Weekend without some great activities from the fun folks at Campus Recreation Services.
How about starting off your Saturday morning (March 1) with a FREE all-levels yoga class? No experience necessary!
Once you are warm and limbered up, your family can head over to the climbing wall for a family team challenge. First time climbing? No problem! Cool prizes will be offered in the "Race to the Top," "Trendy Traverse," and "Climbing Wall Twister." Just drop by the climbing wall in the Health and Learning Center Saturday, March 1 any time between 10 AM and 2 PM.
Have you ever been to a lacrosse game? Here's your big chance! The Men's Lacrosse Team will play two games during Family Winter Weekend. Catch all the action on the south recreation fields Friday, February 28, at 6 PM and Sunday, March 2, at 11 AM. The games are free for all to attend.
For the entire list of all events and details visit our website.
March is National Nutrition Month
by Jo Cahill, Health Educator/Dietitian
With winter nearly over, it's time to look for fresh new ideas for spring. It's easy to get into the rut of eating the same foods at the same places over, and over, and over. Mixing things up can add variety, flavor, appeal, and maybe some nutrients that might be missed when eating the same foods from day to day.
During March we'll be encouraging students to eat more of the healthful, tasty foods that are sometimes overlooked. We suggest trying some of the ideas below to help get things started:
- Make the vegetable dish the center of your main meal today.
- Include a serving of whole grain at each meal this week.
- Try one new vegetable you haven't eaten in the past year.
- Go meatless for a day. Eat other protein-rich foods like beans, tofu, nuts, and low-fat dairy foods.
- Have lunch some place on campus where you haven't eaten in months.
- Instead of having fruit-on-the-bottom yogurt, have plain or vanilla and add berries, unsweetened applesauce or some other fun fruit.
- Have a handful of nuts 2-3 times a week.
Remind your student to look for these Nutrition Month happenings around campus:
- New, healthful options will be highlighted in the dining halls
- Wellness Bulletin Board Competition in the residence halls
- Free Fruit on 'Wellness Wednesdays' throughout March
- Healthy Living Expo March 26, 4-6 PM, at the Health and Learning Center
General Scholarship Application Deadline
Did you know that some scholarships go unclaimed because there aren't enough applicants? Your student still has time to apply! The general scholarship application is due March 1, 2014. Your student will complete one online application and the scholarship tool will automatically match him or her with all potential scholarships based on your student's eligibility.
Once initial criteria are met, some scholarships may require an additional essay or answers to additional specific questions. Please encourage your student to apply today!
Grad Fest at the NAU Bookstore
If you have a student graduating spring 2014, have them check out the Grad Fest at the NAU Bookstore on Tuesday, March 4, and Wednesday, March 5, between 9 AM and 4 PM.
Herff Jones and the NAU Bookstore offer a convenient source for buying caps, gowns, tassels, cords, hoods, announcements, and other great graduation items. Grad Images will also be there to take portraits of your student in their Commencement regalia!
NAU Partners with Phoenix Suns, Phoenix Mercury
Northern Arizona University has entered a multiyear partnership agreement to become the Official Education Partner of the Phoenix Suns and Phoenix Mercury.
As the education partner, NAU will team with the Suns and Mercury on community and education-based initiatives. A featured season-long promotion will be Educator of the Month, in which the Suns and NAU will recognize teachers in Greater Phoenix and Northern Arizona who consistently go above and beyond to help students succeed.
Sun's President Jason Rowley said, "Like NAU, the Suns share a commitment to education and excellence, and we are excited to work together on various programs that focus on the development of Arizona's youth."
Parents, sign in to My Student Body to learn more about this complete alcohol, drug, and wellness program at Northern Arizona University.
- Prochnow movies, Every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, 9 PM.
- College of Arts and Letters film series Spring 2014 - Hollywood Outsiders, every Tuesday, 7 PM
- The Annie Moses Band - (info) - March 8, 7:30 PM at the Ardrey Memorial Auditorium
- College of Arts and Letters 2014 Event Calendar (PDF)
- Ellie Goulding, April 10, 7 PM at the Skydome. Free tickets available to Flagstaff campus students only. Paid for by the ASNAU $23 Fee.
See a complete listing of university events on the official university calendar website. More Flagstaff event highlights can be seen at Flagstaff 365.