Instructional Media Lab
The e-Learning Center's Instructional Media Lab is available by appointment for instructors who need access to multimedia equipment for instructional (classroom or online) purposes at NAU. Media lab hours are 8:30am – 4:30pm, Monday through Friday (except holidays).
The lab includes multimedia computers, scanners, digital still and video cameras, audio recording equipment, and media editing software. Tutorials on how to use the lab are available in the lab, and instructors can also schedule one-on-one consulting consultations with e-Learning Center staff to learn to use the equipment and to get ideas about how to use the lab effectively to produce course materials.
Scheduling Lab Appointments
Instructors must schedule a consultation and get an orientation tour of the lab with Stephanie McCarthy at (928) 523-8997. Instructors can then schedule appointments to use the lab for up to 3 hours per day on a space-available basis. Because the lab is also a functioning part of the e-Learning Center, used regularly by e-Learning Center staff, appointments are required. No drop-ins are accepted.
The media lab currently has the following hardware available:
- One MacPro scanning station (CD and DVD recording drive) with a Nikon Super COOLSCAN 4000 ED slide scanner and a slide feeder for batch slide scanning
- One Epson Perfection 4870 flatbed and 35mm film scanner and up to 4x5 transparencies
- One MacPro video digitizing station (CD and DVD recording drive) with DVD, VHS, and audio capturing hardware
- Windows PC Multimedia Station is available using Parallels on a MacPro
The following Macintosh-based software is available:
- iLife (iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, iTunes, and Garageband)
- Adobe Creative Suite 3 (Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat Pro, InDesign, and GoLive)
- Final Cut Studio (Final Cut Pro, LiveType, Soundtrack, Motion, & DVD Studio Pro)
- Snapz (Screen capture application)
- Inspiration (Brainstorming and mind-mapping software for planning instructional resources)
- Microsoft Office (Word, Powerpoint, Excel)
- Fetch (FTP application)
Equipment Available for Checkout
- Nikon Coolpix 8800
- Nikon Coolpix 5700
- Mini DV Digital Video cameras and tripods
- Media Shot Sheet (.pdf, 59 Kb)