Bb Learn Quick Start Guide for Instructors
Welcome to BbLearn
Blackboard (Bb) Learn is NAU's choice for a learning management system. Bb Learn is an environment that can house an entire online course or elements to supplement your in-person course. Bb Learn is stable and robust, with tools to enhance your online instruction and your students' online education.
- Open your browser and type http://bblearn.nau.edu in the address bar
- Click the green Log in to Bb Learn button.
- If necessary, log in with your NAU ID and password at the CAS authentication page.
- Select your course under the My Courses area
Getting Started with Your Course Environment (PDF)
This printable resource highlights the new layout and features of Bb Learn.
Getting Started with Course Content (PDF)
This printable resource shows what content can be created and where to create the content.
There are many ways to create a page in your course. The most direct way is to add a blank page in the Content folder.
- Select the Content folder in the Course Menu.
- Select Build Content.
- Select Blank Page.
- The video tutorial, Creating A Blank Page, will walk you through additional details.
- Select the Discussions in the Course Menu.
- Select Create Forum
- Enter forum Name and a Description.
- If it is a gradable discussion, scroll down the page to the Grade area and choose a grade option.
- Finally, select Submit.
- Select Content from the Course menu.
- Select Create Assessment.
- Select Assignment.
- Enter Assignment Name and Instructions.
- Decide how many points to assign.
- Decide when the assignment is due. Make sure the check box is selected.
- Enter Submit.
- Download the printable resource, Getting Started with Building a Test (PDF), which highlights the test features in the Bb Learn layout.
- Select Content from the Course Menu.
- Select Create Assessment.
- Select Test.
- In 1. Add Test, select the Create button.
- A new screen will appear. Scroll down and under 1. Test Information, enter the Name of your test. The description and instructions are optional.
- Select Submit in the lower right hand corner.
- Next, add a question by selecting Create Question. Choose a question type.
- Enter a Question Title and Question Text.
- Configure the answer. Note: For the purpose of this guide, False is selected. The types of questions will dictate the configuration.
- Select Submit to add the question to your test.
- Enter the number of points the question is worth.
- At this point, you may choose to create more questions (See video tutorials for the many questions types). Once the questions have been created and the points changed then select OK in the lower right-hand corner.
- Now select the newly created test in the Add Test selection box to add this particular test to your Content folder.
- Select Submit.
- A Success message will appear near the top of the screen.
- To make the test available to your students, scroll down the screen to 2. Test Availability. Select the radio button Yes to make the link available to students.
- Select Submit to add the test to your Content folder.
- Verify that your test is inside your Content folder.
- Finally, we recommend that you explore video tutorials for the many questions types in Bb Learn.
Visit Blackboard Learn's On Demand Learning Center for more video tutorials on understanding and building content.
Communicating with Your Students
- Select the plus (+) in the Course Menu.
- Select Create Tool Link
- Scroll to Announcements in the Type field. Type a name for Announcements area. Check Available to Users. Then select Submit.
View this video tutorial to learn how to create an announcement. You may access the Announcements area by either going the newly created Announcements area (above) or by going to Course Tools then Announcements in the Control Panel as will be seen in the video tutorial.
Blackboard Messages is equivalent to the internal Mail feature in Bb Vista. View the video tutorial to learn how to send Blackboard Messages.
Visit Blackboard Learn's On Demand Learning Center for more tutorials on Communicating and Collaborating with Your Students.
Getting Started with the Grade Center (PDF)
This printable resource highlights the new layout and features for the grade center.
Video tutorials on the Grade Center are also available at the Bb Learn On Demand Learning Center.