Grade Upload to LOUIE
Grade Upload to LOUIE
If you are using the Grade Center in Bb Learn as a place to record student grades, you can easily upload Midsemester or Semester grades to LOUIE without having to enter them again. Once the grades are uploaded and approved in LOUIE, they are considered "official."
Part 1: Bb Learn's Grade Center
- Access the Grade Center from the Course Management Control Panel on the lower left side of your screen.
- Click on Grade Center and then "Full Grade Center."
- Any column, but only one column, in Bb Learn's Grade Center can be designated as the External Grade column. The scores in this column will be visible to students in Bb Learn's My Grades and Report Card areas. You can specify which column is designated as External Grade by clicking on a column's Action Link and selecting "Set as External Grade" from the menu. LOUIE sees this column automatically.
- The External Grade column, which can be called Total (as shown) or given any name you like, will be indicated by a green checkmark. If you hide the column from students, it will show a red slash symbol next to the green check and will not appear in the My Grades or Report Card areas.
- Optional: If you choose, you can create special columns for your mid-semester and semester grades that LOUIE will also recognize. Create (or rename) two "calculated columns" in the Bb Learn Grade Center.* Please use the naming conventions "Midsemester Grade" and "Semester Grade" to avoid confusion with other columns you may already have created. (For example, some people call their major tests "midterm" and "final" so we are avoiding using those terms.) If you create columns with these names, spelled EXACTLY this way, LOUIE will see them and allow you to import grades from these columns.
Set up the Grades column for export to LOUIE
External Grade Column
"Midsemester Grade" and "Semester Grade" Columns
Note: For courses "migrated" from Vista, the course grade column was called "Final Grade" and this column will appear in your Bb Learn Grade Center. We recommend that you rename this column "Semester Grade."
* See our Grade Center Tutorial if you are unfamiliar with the basic functions of the Bb Learn Grade Center.
- Click on the action link in the grades column you want to export.
- Click Edit Column Information in the sub-menu
- Scroll down to Primary Display
- If your grades are calculated, select your Grading Schema name (Letter is the default) or choose Text if you manually entered your letter grades into the column. (The important point here is that LOUIE won't accept a numeric value even if it's a number between 0 and 100, so you have to specify in Bb Learn that the column is not a number.)
- If you need to make changes to your grading schema, go to Manage/Grading Schemas in the Grade Center.
- Secondary Display can be whatever you choose, but Percentage is a good one if you can't decide, or you can leave it unselected.
- Click All Grade Columns for Include in Total (unless there are specific columns you wish to exclude from the total grade)
- Click Yes for Calculate as Running Total
- Last chance in Blackboard! Verify that the grades are correct before upload.
Part 2: LOUIE
- Grades cannot post unless your roster is Approved.
- You must enter a grade for every student in order to Approve your grades.
- If you intend to return later and finish entering grades, leave the roster in "Not Reviewed" status and Save before exiting.
- The Official Grade column will fill in once the Registrar's Office posts grades (the morning after your grade submission deadline).