How Do I Import the Faculty Institutional Review Board (IRB) Informed Consent Form into My Blackboard Learn Course Shell?
NAU's Institutional Review Board has created a sample informed consent form for students who agree to participate in research. The consent form is a Blackboard Learn (Bb Learn) test that you can include in your course shells to make it easier to implement research projects in courses. You can check the test results to see which students have agreed to participate in your study.
Use the sample test as your starting point, and then modify it as needed to better fit your research project.
NOTE: Depending on which browser and operating system you are using, what you see in your browser might look a little different from the screen shots you see in these instructions.
To log in to Blackboard Learn (if you are not already logged in), follow these steps:
- Go to bblearn.nau.edu.
- Click the Login to Bb Learn button.
- On the Central Authentication Service (CAS) page, in the UserID field type your NAU login ID, and in the Password field, type your password.
(NOTE: If you have already authenticated through CAS from some other campus website, you might not have to complete this step or the next. Instead, you automatically will be routed to the Blackboard Learn My Institution tab.)
- Click the Login button.
After you have logged in, make sure you are on the My Bb Learn tab, and then from the My Courses block, select the course in which you would like to use the informed consent test.
Near the upper right corner of the window, make sure the Edit Mode button is set to ON. You click the button to toggle between ON and OFF.
In the Control Panel, click Course Tools.
- From the Course Tools menu select Tests, Surveys, and Pools.
- On the Tests, Surveys, and Pools page, click the Tests link.
- Click the Import Test button.
- Click the Browse Content Collection button.
A new Blackboard Learn pop-up window will be displayed.
- In the new window, in the Content Collection menu on the left, click Institution Content, which will expand that menu.
- From the Institution Content menu select the institution folder.
- In the Select File or Folder list, first click on Shared Content link, then click on e-Learning Center link, and then click on the IRB Faculty Resources link.
- Select the radio button next to the file named TestExportFile_ELC-BbLearn-Faculty-IRB-Resources_Consent for Participating in Research.zip. Then click the Submit button in the lower right corner of the window. If you don't see the Submit button, you might need to scroll to the right or expand the Blackboard Learn window to find the button.
After you click the Submit button, you will be returned to the Test Import page in your Bb Learn course.
- On the Test Import page confirm that the Selected File/File Name is the same as that of the .zip file described above, and then click the Submit button on this page.
You will see a confirmation message that says Test Import Complete.
Now that you've imported the test, you need to decide where you want to use it in your course. In Bb Learn this is called deploying the test. First, navigate to the folder, learning module, or lesson plan where you want your students to find the informed consent form. Then follow these steps.
- From the Create Assessment menu, select Test.
- On the Create Test page in the Add Test section, you'll see a list of available tests. Select Consent for Participating in Research, and then click the Submit button.
- On the Test Options page, select the settings that you want for the test. For example, type a description and set Make the Link Available to Yes. You must make the link available so that students can see the test.
- After you've selected all of your settings, click the Submit button to return to the folder, module, or lesson plan where you added the test.
The Consent for Participating in Research link should appear on that page.
- If you have a list of items on that page and you want the consent test to appear higher in the list, click the gray up/down arrow to the left of the consent test, and then drag and drop the consent test to position it where you want it in the list.