Joseph Collentine, Ph.D.
Professor of Spanish
Department of Global Languages & Cultures
Northern Arizona University
- Ph.D.: University of Texas at Austin, 1993, Hispanic Linguistics.
- Dissertation: The Development of Complex Syntax and the Selection of Mood by Foreign-Language Learners of Spanish.
- Master of Arts Degree: Arizona State University, 1988, Spanish.
- Bachelor of Arts Degree: Arizona State University, 1985, Spanish.
- Northern Arizona University
- Professor of Spanish Linguistics, Department of Global Languages & Cultures, Fall 1995 to present.
- Primary duties: Research, teaching.
- Department Chair, Fall 2002 to Summer 2004, Fall 2009 to June 2013.
- Associate Dean, College of Arts and Letters , Fall 2004 to Summer 2006.
- Interim Director, School of Art, Fall 2005 to Summer 2006.
- East Carolina University
- Assistant Professor of Spanish, Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures, Fall 1993 to Spring 1995.
- Primary duties: Research, teaching, and coordinating lower-division Spanish program.
- University of Texas at Austin
- Instructor of Spanish, Department of Spanish and Portuguese, Fall 1988 to Spring 1993.
- Teaching assignments: Spanish, Portuguese (Summer 1992)
- Austin Community College, Department of Humanities, Fall 1990 to Summer 1993.
- Arizona State University, Department of Foreign Languages, Fall 1985 to Spring 1987.
- Associate Editor, Hispania, the Journal of the American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese. Summer 2002 to present.
- Modern Language Journal. Board member. January 2013 to 2018.
- Revista Española de Lingüística Aplicada/Spanish Journal of Applied Linguistics (John Benjamins). Board member. January 2014 to present.
- Study Abroad Research in Second Language Acquisition and International Education (John Benjamins). Board member. January 2015 to present.
Refereed Articles - In Progress
- Collentine, J., & Collentine, K. (Submitted). Insights into the cognition of mood selection in L2 learners of Spanish. In Proceedings of the 2016 Hispanic Linguistics Symposium. John Benjamins.
- Taguchi, N., & Collentine, J. G. (Accepted). Language Learning in a Study Abroad Context: Research Agendas. Language Teaching.
Refereed Articles - Published
- Yuly Asención-Delaney, Y. Collentine, J. Collentine, K., Colmenares, J., & L. Plonsky. (2015). El potencial de la enseñanza del vocabulario basada en corpus: optimismo con precaución. Journal of Spanish Language Teaching. 2.2, 140-151.
- Collentine, J., & Collentine, K. (2015). Input and output grammar instruction in tutorial CALL with a complex grammatical structure. CALICO, 32.2, 273-298.
- Collentine, J. (2014). Subjunctive in second language Spanish. In Kimberly Geeslin (Ed.) The handbook of Spanish second language acquisition (pp. 270-286). New York: Wiley and Sons.
- Collentine, J.G., & Collentine, K. (2013). A corpus approach to studying structural convergence in task-based Spanish L2 interactions.. In A. Mackey and K. McDonough (Ed.), Second Language Interaction in Diverse Educational Contexts. (pp. 167-187). New York: John Benjamins.
- Collentine, J.G., & Collentine, K. (2013). Quantitative and Mixed Methods: Language Teaching and Learning: Quantitative Methods. In Carol A. Chapelle (Ed.), The Encyclopedia of Applied Linguistics. (pp. DOI: 10.1002/9781405198431.wbeal0651). Hoboken, NJ: Blackwell Publishing.
- Asención-Delaney, Y., & Collentine, J. (2011). A multidimensional analysis of a written L2 Spanish corpus. Applied Linguistics, 32, 299-322.
- Collentine, J. (2010). The Acquisition and Teaching of the Spanish Subjunctive: An Update on Current Findings. Hispania, 93, 39-51.
- Collentine, J., & Asención-Delaney, Y. (2010). A Corpus-Based Analysis of the Discourse Functions of Ser/Estar + Adjective in Three Levels of Spanish as FL Learners. Language Learning, 60, 409-445.
- Collentine, J.G. (2009). Study Abroad Research: Findings, Implications and Future Directions. In M. H. Long & C. J. Catherine (Eds.) The Handbook of Language Teaching, 218-233. New York: Wiley.
- Collentine, J.G. (2008). The role of discursive features in SLA modeling and grammatical frequency – a response to Cheng, Lu and Giannakouros. Bilingualism: Language and Cognition, 11, 3, 319-321.
- O'Brien, I., Segalowitz, N., Freed, B, & Collentine, J. (2007). Phonological Memory Predicts Second Language Oral Fluency Gains in Adults. Studies in Second Language Acquisition 29, 557-581.
- Collentine, J. Spanish. (2006) SLA Research, Classroom Practice and Curriculum Design. In B. Lafford and R. Salaberry (Eds.) Spanish Second Language Acquisition: From Research Findings to Teaching Applications, 39-54. Washington, DC: Georgetown University Press.
- Lafford, B. Collentine, J. (2006) The effects of study abroad and classroom contexts on the acquisition of Spanish as a second language: From research to application. In B. Lafford and R. Salaberry (Eds.) Spanish Second Language Acquisition: From Research Findings to Teaching Applications, 103-126. Washington, DC: Georgetown University Press.
- O'Brien, I., Segalowitz, N., Collentine, J., & Freed, B. (2006). Phonological memory and lexical, narrative, and grammatical skills in second-language oral production by adult learners. Applied Psycholinguistics 27. 377-402.
- Segalowitz, N., Freed, B., Collentine, J. Lafford, B., Lazar N., Díaz-Campos, M. (2005). A comparison of acquisition of Spanish as a second language in two different contexts of learning: Study Abroad and the versus regular academic classroom. Frontiers 10. 1-18.
- Collentine, J. G. (2004). Commentary: Where Processing Research Has Been and Where It Should Be Going. In B. VanPatten (Ed.) Applications of Input Processing: Research on Processing Instruction, 169-182. Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Collentine, J.G. (2004). The Effects of Learning Contexts on Morphosyntactic and Lexical Development. Studies in Second Language Acquisition, 227-248.
- Collentine, J.G., and B. Freed. (2004). Introduction: Learning Context and its Effects on Second Language Acquisition. Studies in Second Language Acquisition, 153-172. [Co-editor of volume.]
- Collentine, J.G. 2003. "The Development of Subjunctive and Complex-Syntactic Abilities among FL Spanish Learners." In B. Lafford and R. Salaberry (Eds.) Studies in Spanish Second Language Acquisition: the State of the Science, 74-97. Washington, DC: Georgetown University Press.
- Lafford, B., J.G. Collentine, and A. Karp. 2003. "The Acquisition of Lexical Meaning by Second Language Learners: An analysis of general research trends with evidence from Spanish." In B. Lafford and R. Salaberry (Eds.) Studies in Spanish Second Language Acquisition: the State of the Science, 130-159. Washington, DC: Georgetown University Press.
- Collentine, J., K. Collentine, V. Clark, and E. Fruginal. 2002. "Subjunctive Instruction Enhanced with Syntactic Instruction." In J. Lee, K. Geeslin, and J. C. Clements (Eds) Proceedings of the 4th Hispanic Linguistics Symposium, 32-45. Sommerville, MA: Cascadilla Press.
- Collentine, J.G. 2002. On the Acquisition of the Subjunctive and Authentic Processing Instruction: A Response to Farley. Hispania. 85, 900-909.
- Collentine, J.G. 2000. "The Relationship between Syntactic and Morphological Abilities in FL Learners of Spanish." In R. Leow and C. Sanz (Eds.) Spanish Applied Linguistics at the Turn of the Millennium, 20-35. Sommerville, MA: Cascadilla Press.
- Collentine, J.G. 2000. "Insights into the Construction of Grammatical Knowledge Provided by User- Behavior Tracking Technologies." Language Learning Technology, 3, 44-57.
- Collentine, J.G. 1998. "Processing Instruction and The Subjunctive." Hispania, 81, 576-587.
- Collentine, J.G. 1998. "Cognitive Principles and CALL Grammar Instruction: A Mind-Centered, Input Approach." CALICO Journal, 15, 1-18.
- Collentine, J.G. and K. Collentine. 1997. "The Compatibility of Computer-Mediated Communication Solutions with Beginning Level Foreign Language Curricula." Computer Assisted Language Learning, 10, 411-426.
- Collentine, J. G. 1997. "The Effects of Irregular Stems on the Detection of Verbs in Spanish." Spanish Applied Linguistics, 1, 3-23.
- Collentine, J. G. 1997. "Pragmatics and the Generation of Syntactically Complex Utterances by Foreign Language Learners of Spanish." In W. R. Glass and A. Pérez-Leroux (Eds.) Contemporary perspectives on the acquisition of Spanish, 25-40. Sommerville, MA: Cascadilla Press.
- Collentine, J. G. 1995. "The Development of Complex Syntax and Mood-Selection Abilities by Intermediate-Level Learners of Spanish." Hispania 78, 123-36.
- Lafford, B. A., and J. G. Collentine. 1989. "The Telltale Targets: An Analysis of Access Errors in the Speech of Intermediate Students of Spanish." Lenguas Modernas, 16, 143-162.
- Lafford, B. A., and J. G. Collentine. 1987. "Lexical and Grammatical Access Errors in the Speech of Intermediate/Advanced Level Students of Spanish." Lenguas Modernas, 14, 87-112.
- Collentine, J. García, M., Lafford, B. & Marín, F. (Eds.). (2009). Selected Proceedings of the 11th Hispanic Linguistics Symposium. Sommerville, MA: Cascadilla Press.
- Collentine, J. G. and K. Collentine. 1997. "Communicative and Content Based Foreign Language Instruction in a Computer Based, Distance Learning Environment." CALICO '97: Content, Content, Content. (Proceedings) CALICO: Durham, NC. CD-ROM digital text, no page reference.
- Schairer, K. E., and J. G. Collentine. 1996. "Practice and Assessment of Spanish Syntactic Competence." CALICO '96: Distance Learning. (Proceedings) CALICO: Durham, NC. 224-228.